Wednesday 5 September 2012

La fille à cent sous -a skinny girl who proves an even greater bargain through her character.

The opening lines give the impression of a song on a familiar theme of Brassens – the social outsiders for whom he had sympathy, but who aroused the disapproval of conventional society.  Two men are presented to us with uncompromising frankness. They are dirty, revolting, drunken and the more desperate of the two has sold his wife to the other for one hundred pence. But the focus of the song turns out not to be sociological but sentimental. The new relationship that had been bought sparks empathy, compassion, instant passion and then, incredibly, mutual love, which, even more incredibly in Brassens, proves to be everlasting.  The story that began harsh and grim is, at the end, sweet and romantic. 
It is an intriguing song. Did Brassens, in real life, tease some-one whom he loved deeply for being skinny?  Could that person be Jeanne?  We know from his friends' accounts that Georges was able to carry on his affair with Jeanne freely, because her husband, a heavy drinker, was out to the world from early in the day.

It is possible that we have in this song a very tender account of how Brassens and his Jeanne first came together physically.








La fille à cent sous


La fille à cent sous

Du temps que je vivais dans le troisièm' dessous (1),
Ivrogne, immonde, infâme,(2)
Un plus soûlaud que moi,  contre un' pièc' de cent sous
M'avait vendu sa femme.


Quand je l'eus mise au lit, quand j'voulus l'étrenner,(3)
Quand j'fis voler sa jupe,
Il m'apparut alors qu'j'avais été berné
Dans un marché de dupe.


"Remball' tes os, ma mie, et garde tes appas,

Tu es bien trop maigrelette,
Je suis un bon vivant, ça n'me concerne pas

D'étreindre des squelettes.
Retourne à ton mari, qu'il garde les cent sous

J'n'en fais pas une affaire.".


Mais ell' me répondit, le regard en dessous :
"C'est vous que je préfère...
J'suis pas bien gross', fit-ell', d'une voix qui se noue 
Mais ce n'est pas ma faute..."


Alors, moi, tout ému, j'la pris sur mes genoux(4)
Pour lui compter les côtes.
"Toi qu'j'ai payée cent sous, dis-moi quel est ton nom
Ton p'tit nom de baptême ?
Je m'appelle Ninette. - Eh bien, pauvre Ninon

Console-toi, je t'aime."

Et ce brave sac d'os dont j'n'avais pas voulu

Même pour une thune (5),
M'est entré dans le cœur et n'en sortirait plus
 
Pour toute une fortune.


Du temps que je vivais dans le troisièm' dessous  Ivrogne, immonde, infâme,(2)
Un plus soûlaud que moi,  contre un' pièc' de cent sous
M'avait vendu sa femme.



 Georges Brassens
1960 - Le mécréant. 





At the time I was living in total squalor

Drunken, dirty, disgusting,
A much worse drunk than me, for a hundred cent piece
Had sold to me his wife.


When I’d put her to bed, wanting to try her out,
When I whipped off her skirt
It seemed to me right then, that I’d been strung along
In a deal where I was fooled.


Wrap up your bones my love, and hang on to your charms
You are much too skinny for me
My tastes are quite refined, it’s simply not my line
To cuddle skeletons
Go back to your husband, let him keep t’hundred cents
I won’t make a fuss about it.


But she replied to me, decidedly downcast “It’s you that I prefer………
I’m not so fat,” she said, in a strangled voice

But that is not my fault… »


Well then, I, deeply moved, took her upon my lap
In order to count  her rib-bones.
« You who cost hundred cents, tell me what is your name
The little name you were baptised ?  
I am called Ninetta.—“Well then my poor Ninon
Don't be upset, I love you. »


And this goodly sack f’bones, I wanted nothing of
Even for a dollar,
She came into my heart and wouldn't leave again
For all the wealth that can be


At the time I was living in total squalor
Drunken, dirty, disgusting,
A much worse drunk than me, for a hundred cent piece
Had sold to me his wife.




Translation Notes

(1)   dans le troisième dessous- This is an idiom meaning: " in the most abject poverty".

(2)   Ivrogne, immonde, infâme – (Poetic style) – Emphasis is achieved by the euphony of  three adjectives beginning with the same vowel.

(3)   Quand j'voulus l'étrenner – It is the noun “les étrennes” that is well-known to us- meaning the Xmas/ New Year present.  Larousse tells me the verb means to make first use of something.

(4)    Je la pris sur mes genoux – This can be taken as a gesture of tenderness but also as an indication of intimate sexual position as he is seduced by the girl.  In some of his other poems, skinniness is associated with eroticism - Oncle ArchibaldDans l’eau de laClaire fontaine and also Don Juan is captivated by a girl who lacked conventional beauty.

(5)    Une thune is, in fact a five franc piece.


I very much like this lively video made by Lez Enfants Terribles


Please click here toreturn to the alphabetical list of my Brassens selection

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.